Friday, July 1, 2011

Learning to fit

Ever feel like you just don't fit somewhere? I think I've felt that way most of my life. When I find someone that I really like, I tell Dusty "they're us people." I don't like being made felt inadequate, left out, dumb, or wrong. (unless I'm wrong)

I think of myself as the black sheep of the family. Maybe even a goat, on top of it's house, with it's hooves painted pink...standing out from the crowd by a mile.

While the rest of my family is in real estate, I sell insurance. I love what I do. For whatever reason, once people find out that I am Steve Owen's daughter (& most of them don't even know he has a daughter), they are floored that I'm not working in real estate. I tell them "I do work in real estate-I clean their bathrooms." It just doesn't interest me. I'd probably be better off working there, but I'm ok being me and loving what I do everyday. Point is, I'm happy and tired of trying to convince people that I'm good.

I know that my choices aren't the choices of others. I'm sure I've made wrong decisions and done things a little backwards more than once, but God has led me to where I am and I am beyond thankful for my blessings. So many differences exist, but different isn't wrong/bad. I like making my own way-it feels better. I am to the point in my life that I think most of us get to. It's like take it or leave it. Of course there is always room to work on the better version of myself. Striving for excellence I believe my pastor calls it:)

I don't like being in a crowded, stiff room where I obviously don't belong. I don't like the uncomfortable feeling of trying to fit. I've never pretended or claimed to be something or someone that I am not. I don't need to impress anyone, and I think it looks foolish to do so. Don't compromise your character by playing a part. I've heard people's accent change just by being around someone with an accent. Also, I am not a fan of the fake laugh! Stick to your guns and be you. I can usually tell when I annoy people and I'll get my feelings hurt and turn to anger. But I'm going to be working on that. You do you, I'll do me.

So I guess this learning to fit rant kinda turned into me being me...Square peg in a round hole in most situations-just can't make it fit! I shall surround myself with squares.

2 comments:

  1. One of my new years resolutions was "quit trying to fit in". I lost a friend over it, but hey. I'm just a country girl that grew up without lots of money and now I'm a grown up without lots of money. But it is who I am. I am a nerd and have a silly sense of humor that most people just stare at me and wonder what planet I came from. We just have to be ourselves and know that no one else is like us and that it is a good thing! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so happy to be a fellow square :)

    ReplyDelete