Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Raising People

Being a parent is challenging on so many levels. The biggest challenge I have is the fact that I am partly responsible for raising people. Little people that will become big people and hopefully contribute to society..and not with community service.I'm overwhelmed with the idea that I am an influence on someones (2 someones) personalities. However sometimes I think that dusty is mostly responsible given the personality traits of Gus & Simon that are unfavorable. Like kicking and screaming when you take them OUT of the bathtub...who does that?
I've talked about this with friends before and worry about it a lot. We as parents can raise our children in a happy home, take them to church, equip them with our highest knowledge, and yet they still have to make the choice to go right or left. I'm sure each person can name someone they know that was "raised right" that chose the wrong lane. Granted, we've all branched off the paved road and some have even gotten lost in the woods, but I'm talking about the people that choose the dirt path with roots tripping them along the way. This path, is the one I want to keep my kids from even hearing about.
Gus has a friend at school that is a little bit "dirt path" and he thinks this kid is so cool. This worries me. If my 4 year old already prefers trouble makers then I have reason to believe my corralling skills are going to have to sharpen to keep him not exactly on the straight and narrow but at least on the 4 lane.
No matter how hard we try as parents to steer our children, anytime they act out or someone else hears of something they've done, it immediately falls back on the "parenting" Ever heard "product of your raisin"? Basically, I'm trying to make a disclaimer that if my boys turn out bad, we did our best ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment