Monday, February 28, 2011

Hazard's on, let's go!

It is extremely rare that my sister-in-law, Abbey, and I get to go and DO anything. Saturday night, we were going to seize that rare opportunity and get crazy. I got everything ready for the "boys night in" which consisted of Dusty, my brother, Gus, and Simon.
As we were leaving, Gus started acting really sad about me leaving and said he didn't want me to go. I loved him up a few extra minutes and told him he could have some yogurt if he wanted it. He said "but they won't let me" with the most pitiful voice and face you've ever seen. I assured him that he could have some and shouted inside that I was leaving and Gus could have yogurt.
We left the house and talked about how excited we were to have this time together, and headed towards Rosman to the Miss Bengal pageant. (told ya we were wild) Abbey parked the car and we got out. We had gotten about 20 feet away from the car when the phone rang and Abbey picked up "Do you miss me already" and then I watched as her face changed and so did her direction..we were headed back to the car and my stomach sank. Jeremy said that Simon cut his finger, it was a long story, but he might need a stitch. I felt physical pain.
On the way home I tried to call, but no one would answer. I figured there was a finger missing and no one wanted me to be alarmed. I knew for them to have called me back that it was serious and that Simon was crying uncontrollably. Boy was I right.

I walked in and grabbed Simon. Gus was running circles in the front yard and Jeremy and Dusty were running circles inside. I saw paper towels and scotch tape laying on the table and almost laughed, but my baby was crying. I held him tight and tried to see the wound but it was bleeding too bad. I wrapped it in a burp cloth and starting spitting orders. You-get a bottle. You-get a towel. You-what happened?

Dusty was cutting open the yogurt that Gus had asked for, with scissors, while holding the infant child. Simon, of course, tried to grab the scissors and snip!

We finally all got everything together and got into the car. "Hazard's on, let's go" So we're on our way and I say, "I think you're allowed to speed when there's an infant bleeding in the back seat, and you're in a passing zone" Dusty said "yes but there was a line of cars, can't you see" "No, I was praying" "Oh" We then got behind a van that apparently felt that hazard lights were pretty to look at. No matter how many steering wheel slams and "Come on people" we were stuck until finally, we hit the 4 lane. Free at last!! Except for that state trooper. You're kidding me right?

Dusty weaves in and out of traffic all the way to the ER. Check in and..........wait. No one looks quite as emergent as my child. Except that my child is fast asleep and the bleeding has stopped. We all feel entitled to be first in the ER don't we. "No one is as sick as me or my child" We register and wait again. Get called back into a room and...wait again. At one point, I told Dusty he was going to have to start taking care of himself because he was hurt worse than Simon was. Poor guy!! 2 1/2 hours later and thankfully with Simon still sleeping, the Dr comes in, glues it, slaps a sticker on and we're out the door in less than 10 mins.

I see a market for dermabond-Parents. Sell it, and we will buy it. I personally will buy in bulk. It will save us hours! We can even use what's leftover on household projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment