Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What'cha thinkin bout?

As I lay here on the couch with the computer propped up on my ever expanding baby shelf, I find myself bored. I could read another book, watch TV, get up and go sit in the chair in the kitchen and try to start dinner, or fall asleep. Is it just me, or are there 1 million things to think about?
Things like, getting things arranged back home for the upcoming baby. What name are we ever going to chose for the baby? Will Gus hurt him right away, or sneakily wait a few weeks? Will I get enough sleep to take care of 2 kids? Dusty is going to be in the midst of football season, can I even do this alone? How do you take care of 2 kids at one time? When I go to pick up Gus at school, do I take the new baby inside or leave him in the car? I should probably take him in. Do I take the whole car seat, or just the baby? Then how will I carry all of Gus' daily items? How will I hold Gus' hand in the parking lot? Will Gus understand the concept of not waking up the baby once he's asleep? Why again did I get a belly button ring in my early 20's....that scar isn't looking so well these days. Will the baby be lactose intolerant like Gus was? Will we be able to afford the diapers and formula? This baby is going to have all hand me down clothes and toys...will he think we love him less? Gus is going to be so jealous of all the attention..how will we cope with his certain outbursts? Do other parents get embarrassed by their kids outbursts? Do other moms even get hit in the expanding belly with golf clubs because their 3 year old is angry?
Back in 2006, Dusty and I came to HHI. Alone. We brought some clothes, some cash, and ourselves. We woke up when we felt like waking up, we ate breakfast out, we went to the beach and took our cooler of beer, our towels, and then took naps. We swam out in the ocean, got too much sun, and then came home, took showers, and went somewhere for dinner. I don't remember thinking anything, except did we have enough beer/food. I don't remember being an adult, even though we obviously were.
Parenting although fun and ultra-rewarding can be so draining on the mind. Usually after a very long rough day with Gus, he'll go off to bed, and about an hour later, I'm wishing he was awake so I could hold him and tell him how much I love him. No matter how hard it is, or how many strikes I took that day, he is my heart. He is the funniest, sweetest boy in the world....when he wants to be. Dusty and I have laughed our fool heads off at him trying to get us to "guess which hand" something is in and he grabs a pool noodle that is approx. 4 feet long. Hmmmmmm....which hand to choose:)

No comments:

Post a Comment