Friday, June 18, 2010

Borrowed troubles

As I was sitting at the music center watching graduation last week, I found myself becomming overly emotional. I figure people were looking at me like I was some crazy lady sitting alone crying on the back row. I sat there because it was close to the bathroom and I didn't actually let a tear roll down my cheek- that was probably sweat. I couldn't help but to feel for those parents sitting there watching their babies walk across the stage and into their new lives. I wasn't thinking about that when I graduated. Never crossed my mind that my parents might be sad. But now that I'm a mother, I realize how hard it is to watch your kids grow up.
On our drive to lunch (Dusty text me from the stage while sitting next to DR McDaris that he was hungry and wanted to go eat afterwards-always with the next meal plan) I started sharing my feelings about Gus' graduation with Dusty. I wondered how we should have his name listed in the program since he goes by his nickname, if he would have enough asterisks by his name, enough cords around his neck, if he would be valedictorian and give a speech, and what he would do with his life. My biggest concern however, was the after graduation party. "What are you gonna tell him" I asked Dusty. "Well, I'll tell him not to drink and drive, or get in the car with anyone else who has" "WHAT?? That's not good enough. He needs to be told to NOT drink at all, and who says he's allowed in a car with another teenager anyway, they are terrible drivers" "Oh Lord Emily, he's gonna be a teen driver" "Not if we forbid him from getting his license till he's 18" "Emily- this is ridiculous, you're borrowing troubles. He's going to grow up and move on and I'm excited to see who he's going to become and what he's going to choose to be" And cue the tears....grow up....I don't want him to grow up, or move on, much less move out.
I'll be the mom at the kitchen island yelling at Gus and Wells about something that matters to me and ALL these boys will be laughing at me and not taking me seriously. Oh bother.

2 comments:

  1. I cried at Neal's graduation and I didn't even know him until a year ago. It is exciting, scary and overwhelming to see a kid grow into themselves. I hope Riley doesn't totally diss me at the graduation. Like mom! Dude - just drop me off down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After our experiences in the silver bullet, no, none of our children are allowed to drive. Ever. Period. End of story.

    ReplyDelete